Sunday, January 14, 2007

Featured Seller: Recy

I am a book abuser -- and it drives my husband nuts.

Todd cherishes his books, lovingly places them on bookshelves, keeps the covers clean, even uses those book boxes that come with the collectibles.

Not me. I dog ear the pages, break the bindings, spill Lean Cuisine lasagne on the covers, and leave the books on the toilet for those emergency moments.

Todd calls it book battery. I call it love.

But, for the sake of my marriage, I have decided to purchase something like this:




Yes, Recy Vintage & Creations, you just may well save my relationship. Even if you did once get a spanking for getting glue on the formal dining table.

Thank you. I think.

Everybody, meet fabulous crafter -- and potential marriage mender -- Recy Vintage & Creations.

Your Shop Name
Recy Vintage & Creations.

Your real name
Karen Beth (One of those crazy Southern double names!)

Name of your first grade teacher
Miss Ross (No, she did not also sew the American flag.)

When did you first start crafting?
I came out with a glue gun in one hand and a paintbrush in the other. No seriously... very young. I was ALWAYS the one making things, drawing things (even though I can't draw very well at all), gluing things (got a spanking for getting glue on the formal dining room table - it's JUST a table!), cutting things (another spanking story that I will spare you), turning something into something else (does mud into pies also count??) If it couldn't be crafted, well... I've never known anything that couldn't be crafted.

Got a day job? What is it?
I freelance write and I craft and I sell vintage clothing on eBay and other lovely venues. Do I actually go into an office? Not anymore, thank goodness.

What creation are you most proud of and why?
There are a lot of these but I will mention two. Firstly, I'm proud of the cool datebook sthat I make for myself each year. They are collaged on the front, back and throughout the inside and are funky and eclectic and FUN. Here are two of them.





I'm also very proud of kind of a gag gift that I made for my boyfriend. It was a corn crown (long but very funny and significant story) but was confiscated by Customs in Australia (he lives in Australia; I'm here in Mississippi). Luckily, I took pictures as proof that I really DID make a crown of corn:



What's the ugliest thing you ever made?
Oh dear, the first time I ever tried my hand at sewing, I made the UGLIEST pair of khaki overalls. They looked like prison garb, seriously. Thankfully, I DO NOT have a picture of that hideousness.

Beatles or Elvis?
Elvis, of course (any good Southern girl would pick Elvis!)

Chunky Money or New York Superfudge Chunk?
I have to go with... neither. Vanilla Tofutti all the way! YUM! Give me some of that!

World peace or worldwide distribution of your crafts?
World peace. I couldn't make enough crafts without falling over dead to distribute worldwide. Anyway, wouldn't it be oh-so-nice to be able to craft in a totally peaceful world environment?

Final words?
I love many things, key among them are vintage items, eclectic collage, a somewhat cluttered look, the English language, words, fashion, quotations, cats, anything French, lavender, foreign films, coffee, yoga, beautiful nature and anything a bit inexplicable. Most of my crafted items will reflect those loves, or at least some of them. I have more ideas in my head than I have time to create, although it doesn't help that I'm also a horrible procrastinator. C'est la vie. I have big plans for my shop so stay tuned. If I even get HALF of what I have conjured in my head created, I will have quite a sweet little Etsy store. I also have plans to list scads more amazing vintage items, some of the possibly re-purposed. That will be fun! I have as many vintage clothing items as I have ideas in my head. Eeek! Lots going on in Recy-World!

Any questions about me, my store or my items? Convo me! I'm always eager to hear from other creative Etsians. And thank you, Andrea, for creating this wonderful blog for all of us.

6 Comments:

At 6:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore Recy's items and have some of her cute quotemarks myself. Well I don't have a marriage that needs saving, they have sparked some overzealous hugging of my BF upon opening.

 
At 6:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have several Recy quotemarks too and have given them as gifts to others. They are great! I hope they stop the book battering for you :)

 
At 8:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have given several of the quotemarks as gifts. My eleven year old son loves his--I picked an inspiring quote I felt might encourage him! The most appreciated quotemark was probably the one I gave to my father-in-law before he had major surgery. He loved it. Great idea. Thanks, Laura

 
At 8:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recy is so sweet. I have a quotemark coming my way in the mail and I'm so excited about it. I wish her the absolute best of luck!

-Desirai

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger CoreyAnn said...

I LOVE Recy! I have made three purchases so far and can't wait to order more. One of my favorite all time sellers!!!

 
At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone! It is SO nice to read such kind and thoughtful comments about me and my Etsy store. I really do appreciate it. And THANKS Andrea for keeping up this wonderful blog!

Love to all of you,

KB at Recy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home