Saturday, February 17, 2007

Featured seller: Lava Jewelry

I'm at work and have nothing witty to say.

DAMN YOU EMPLOYER! Damn you for crushing my creative sprit!

A peek at this might get the old juices going again:



Isn't that lovely? Very Jackie O, to me anyway. And as some of you may know, Jackie and I were very close back in the day...

OK I'm lying. I am so lame tonight. Save yourself and go visit Lava Jewelry. She'll give you the respect and attention you truly deserve.

Your Shop Name
Lava Jewelry

Your real name
Chel

Fifth grade teacher?
Mrs. Brenda Lyle - she was amazing!



When did you first start crafting?
I don't remember ever _not_ crafting. I used to set up "craft stations" for my younger siblings. In each station would be a different project. They would work on one project for about 20 minutes or so, and then I'd have them switch to the next one. It's a good thing I had so many younger siblings.

Got a day job? What is it?
I'm currently devoting all of my time to my business, but I'm a geologist by training, and I do plan to keep geology in my life.

What creation are you most proud of and why?
Right now I'm most proud of my blue mystery stone pendant. It is made from a rock I collected myself in the Sierra Nevada. A friend of mine cabbed it, and I wirewrapped it. It's not my most sophisticated piece, but it has special meaning since I collected the rock myself.



What's the ugliest thing you ever made?
The ugliest thing I've ever made would probably be the first scarf I ever knitted. I don't have a picture, but it was an obnoxious bright purply pinky reddish color, and I skipped all kinds of stitches, the rows weren't even in size, and it ended up being about ten feet long because I couldn't figure out how to bind off.

Explain your etsy shop name.
I chose the name Lava Jewelry because of my background in geology. There's not much that I love more than molten rock. I went to college in Hawaii, where I'd spend every possible spare moment at the active lava fields on Kilauea, helping various people with their research or just exploring. I love the flow and curves of hot lava, and I think some of those same
curves can be seen in my designs. I like the word "lava" itself too - it's two pretty syllables. And I do incorporate lava into my jewelry; I make designs using basalt, rhyolite, and obsidian.

Angelina or Jen?
Ummm, what?

Final words?
None. I plan to live forever. Really.

http://cheldodge.net/blog

2 Comments:

At 5:15 PM , Blogger Nothing said...

hi! you've got a fantastic blog here!

keep up the good work!

 
At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for featuring my shop! I'm seriously excited to be on your blog. Your blog is my favorite to read. I check my RSS reader every day to see if you've posted.

Don't worry, I know you'll get the creativity back. Don't let the big bad boss take that from you - fight the power!

I look forward to reading more about your featured shops.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home