Thursday, January 25, 2007

Featured Seller: Black Orchid Designs

These things make me cry:

Any episode of Little House on the Prairie in which Pa cries, Laura runs away or someone learns a lesson

The sight of my burgeoning second roll of fat

The memory of Law and Order Trial By Jury and its sudden, TRAGIC cancellation

The sight of my piece of crap, leaky roofed, window won't roll downed, sagging ceilinged 1997 Saturn.

The thought of world peace? Not so much. But our next featured seller has memories of teary-eyed teacher with much deeper emotions. Read more about Black Orchid Designs right here...




Your Shop Name
Black Orchid Designs

Your real name
Keelin (say like Key-Lynn, I receive many different pronunciations)

Fifth grade teacher?
Mrs. Mele. She used to cry a lot during class because she always wanted to have world peace. Also, I remember her telling my class that her new cat at the time loved to eat earthworms. She was a character and I loved her!

When did you first start crafting?
I was too young to remember. The first thing I actually do remember making was a drawing of the world with little fishes all over it. I remember working on it for hours and hours and then I gave it to my dad. I must have been around three or four years old. Then a few years later I was able to go to work with him and I saw it in his office. I think he still has it to this day.

Got a day job? What is it?
This is my last semester in college right now and being a full-time student is my main job. My other job is helping to organize an after school math tutoring program for inner-city children. I love it, the kids are great and its such a wonderful feeling to see them learning and positively planning for their future.



What creation are you most proud of and why?
A necklace and earring set I recently made my mother for Christmas. I spent a lot of time on it and she wears it everyday!

What's the ugliest thing you ever made?
Hmmm…I wish I had a picture of it, but I don’t. I was taking a color course and had to do a painting exemplifying anger. Apparently, it was really gruesome because my roommate at the time, who is deathly afraid of Bloody Mary, walked in my room while I was working on it and freaked out. It was ugly because it really looked like blood and guts were spilled all over the place. After my roommate would not even step in my room because of it. All in all, it was pretty funny scaring her! Hehehe….

Explain your etsy shop name.
Orchids are seen as a symbol of perfection, love, and beauty. During the Middle Ages they were used in love potions. It is also my favorite flower. I like to think that the Orchid is symbolizing my jewelry creations and exemplifying my love for my work and its perfection to me.
Why a black orchid? For the longest time, I’ve wanted a black orchid, but they simply do not exist. So, I created them in my imagination and named my business Black Orchid Designs.

Angelina or Jen?
Well to be honest, I don’t follow Hollywood at all and I really don't know what is going on with either of them, but going from what I do know I would have to say Angelina. She has put a lot of work and promotion into world issues such as AIDS, poverty, and children. I think she is putting her fame and influence to good use and working to make a difference.

Final words?
I want to say thank you to Andrea of Powderpuff Creations for featuring me! She has put so much work into this little site just to promote Esty artists. It is a very kind thing to go out of her own way to help others.
Also, thank you to the creators of Esty who have made all this possible. I think many artists who previously thought that the world would not support them in doing what they wanted to do have fulfilled their dreams because of Etsy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home