Sunday, January 21, 2007

Featured Seller: Kathyys Krafts

I love ugly crafts.

Yes it's true. One of my favorite parts of this blog is asking people to share their biggest craft disasters. I love how people can laugh about their early days at the kiln or -- ahem -- terrifying attempts to learn how to sew at age 35 when most etsy people are already sewing $300 dresses.

For example.

So in honor of KathyysKrafts, who has the strength later in this post to face her craft demon, I give you this:

fugly1

I hate this thing. Truly. I sewed it a few months ago. Not only is the fabric Too Quaker For Prime Time, it's just a mess. An embarassment. A wart on the bum of the crafting world.

I am sorry.

To help you shake the memory of my shame, allow me to introduce you to the classy and sassy KathyysKrafts.

Your Shop Name
KathyysKrafts

Your real name
Katherine is my legal name but I use Kathyy (yes it's spelled with a double y)on almost everything.

Fifth grade teacher?
Sorry I can barely remember the names of people I met last month, definitely can't remember a name from 5th grade. My ongoing joke is that I'd forget my own name if I didn't have to tell it to people so often.

When did you first start crafting?
It feels like I have been crafting forever. When I was really young (elementary school) I used to make things for my mom, family, and close friends. Hopefully my ability and artistic skills have improved since them. Right now I dabble with card making, jewelry making, candle making, scrapbooking, stamping, and paper making. Previously I did some painting. In the future I'd like to try bead making and some woodworking.

Got a day job? What is it?
In my day job I do career counseling and program management. I use my creativity and passion for helping people to assist college students and recent graduates with identifying what kinds of work match who they are and what employers can employ them in those career areas.

What creation are you most proud of and why?
I am most proud of the items that I make for my family. I think it's because I get to see them enjoying it. One set I made for my aunt can be seen here:



What's the ugliest thing you ever made?
I would not say that anything I make is ugly. However I once made an ice candle that was very unusual and probably not something that most people would appreciate.



Explain your etsy shop name
My unique spelling of Kathyy came about some 11 years ago when I met my husband in a Chicago chat room on IRC. I decided to use the unique spelling in really life because I like being unique and it's has always been a great conversation piece. It also looks interesting when my full name is written out. Written out I have a double y in my first name; a double n in my middle name; and a double t plus two sets of double e in my last name. For the second part of my shop name I thought that since I spelled my first name uniquely, I also want to spell the second part uniquely . . . thus came about Kathyy's Krafts. It's unique, concise, informative, and memorable; everything a good title should be.

Angelina or Jen?
Hmmm, if I must talk about a Hollywood figure I pick Morgan Freeman. He has amazing talent, an interesting life story, and reminds me a lot of my granddad who died many years ago.

Final words?
Right now my shop is fairly small but I look forward to watching it grow as I'm inspired to create more things and hopefully get some custom orders. I love doing custom orders so if you don't see what you want at KathyysKrafts.etsy.com you can send me a convo or email me at kathyyskrafts@gmail.com.

If you would like to see more examples of my work visit my My Space page right here.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathyy,

You've inspired me to try my own hand at making "ugly" ice candles. I love it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home